[Avodah] Geshem or Gashem?!

David and Esther Bannett via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Nov 5 10:39:44 PDT 2016

I don't really care whether one says geshem or gashem because they both
mean the same thing. The advice to pause a moment after saying the
pausal form gashem and not to pause after geshem makes sense.

What has long bothered me is something else.  Why do the "corrected"
siddurim who have geshem also have morid hatal with tal in the pausal
form with a kamatz rather than the non-pausal form, with a patach, as in
tal umatar?

I once saw or heard an explanation but, as it involved mysticism which
is not something I go for, I forgot it.  I then posted my question to
the list and someone sent the mystical story. But, I have forgotten it
again.

Don't bother to enlighten me because I have no need to forget a third time.

But my question still stands.  Why is one pausal and the other is not
when the following words are the same.

David