[Avodah] R' Nissim Karelitz's Beis Din: Kohanim cannot fly from Ben Gurion

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 31 10:50:10 PDT 2016

On 31/10/16 08:15, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:

> I severely doubt the dayanim looked at flight schedules.  Sorry to say I
> have not always found some poskim knowledgeable of reality.  I still
> recall the cohen who wrapped himself in plastic. As far as I know that
> was never repeated .

What's your problem with that?  Why should it not be repeated if
necessary?  (IIRC it was an emergency psak, the kohen's flight had been
diverted, and he had no other way of getting home before Pesach.)

> Then there was the posek who recommended lighting
> chanukah candles on a plane for a short time not withstanding the risks
> involved and that it is against all regulations.

I personally know someone who asked the crew's permission, which was
readily granted; she lit openly in the galley, with full pirsumei nissa,
and has the photos to prove it.

--
Zev Sero                Hit the road, Jack
zev at sero.name           but please come back once more