[Avodah] R' Nissim Karelitz's Beis Din: Kohanim cannot fly from Ben Gurion

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Oct 31 10:32:37 PDT 2016

From: Zev Sero via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
>  first not everyone agrees with the psak of R Karelitz. Among the reasons
>  are precisely that perhaps tumah does not really go on "forever". In
>  addition to questions about the moon how about accounting for the
>  curvature of the earth? [--RET]

What about it?  How is it  relevant?   at any given point in the
universe, you are either  above a grave or you are not.

--
Zev  Sero

At any given point in the universe, what do the words "above" and "below"
even /mean/?

The curvature of the earth may not be relevant but the earth's rotation
around its axis surely is.  Our planet is rotating at a rate of  about a
thousand miles an hour.  It's also moving around the sun at about  66,000 miles
an hour.  It's not obvious to us, partly because our  atmosphere moves right
along with our planet.  So when we look up we  might see a nice puffy cloud
or two that may seem to be right above our  heads.  The clouds are not
racing backwards at a thousand miles an hour,  they're moving with us.

But how far out in space is this true?  If you were standing in a
graveyard and you looked up and saw, say, Orion's belt, would that mean that a
kohen could not travel to one of Orion's stars because the tumah from the
cemetery extends all the way UP to those stars?  But no, in the course of  the
night, Orion moves!  (Well, our planet moves.)  So now where is  "up"?  Where
is "above"?

I could also pose the problem a different way.  Let's say you're on a  ride
in an amusement park, some kind of Tilt-a-Whirl, and the ride is such  that
it twirls you around.  Above your head is let's say a transparent  canopy.
No matter which way you are twirled the canopy remains "above"  you.  But
the sights you can see through the canopy change every second so  that at one
moment the sky is above you and then the grass is "above" you and  then the
horizon is "above" you.  Maybe you can see some mountains in the  distance
or the seashore, and as you twirl, now the mountains and now the beach  are
"above" you, as seen through the transparent canopy which is the only thing
that is indubitably above you as your cabin spins.

It seems to me that the atmosphere, like that transparent canopy, must  be
the limit of "above" a grave.  (How high? I don't know.) Otherwise  all of
outer space in every direction is "above" us as we spin!

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..