[Avodah] conservatism in davening

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 13 09:36:15 PDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 04:42:26PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: I think that is basically what happened, but it's a *little* more
: complicated.   For instance, the chazan would start "Ha'ochez beyad
: midas mishpat", and everyone would answer "vechol ma'aminim shehu Kel
: emunah", and then the chazan would say it too, so as not ch"v to exclude
: himself from that "kol".  Then he would start the next line, "habochen
: uvodek", etc...

According to R/Dr Arnie Lustiger's machzor, RYBS said something similar.

We are in a weird compromize between saying it with the Chazan and not
interrupting hearing him. So, the Chazan begins, pauses for us, and then
completes.

If I may add, the pattern reminded me of the layout of Shiras haYam --
with us providing chatzi leveinos between the Chazan's levenios.

PS: As for broken tunes.... I still have a deep problem with "Az beqol,
ra'ash gadol, adir vechazaq mashmi'im qol" -- the standard nusach has
the pauses in places that don't fit the grammar.