[Avodah] 2 days RH

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Oct 7 07:46:51 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 01:12:42PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: Rav Dessler asks that if so the 2nd day of RH is not the "real" RH...
: I was not clear about his answer. Assuming the two days are for different
: types of "din" what happened before the institution of a 2 day RH and
: during the period the Baal Hamaor describes.

A strict rationalist would say that any time set of teshuvah is inherently
a time for judgment. Rather than the other way around. After all, a
person who knows that these 10 days are "the right time" for teshuvah
and doesn't use it, or *how* he choose to use it, says much about where
he is and where he is going. Much more than the rest of the year.

: Basically the question boils down to the question of how a takanah of the
: rabbis can effect heavenly judgement

Well, that last question is true for the first day too. After all, it's
up to the Jewish People to decide when rosh chodesh is, when the year
is me'uberes, etc... So even the judgment of the first day is timed by
taqanos of the rabbis.

This same question comes up WRT shemittah -- does shemittah derabbanan
come with a berakhah in the 6th and 8th years? And the CI's teshuvah
prohibiting heter mechirah assumes it does.

We have discussed this repeatedly. And see also
http://www.aishdas.org/asp/safeiq-derabbanan

Or WRT whether chicken parmesan causes timtum haleiv. The Meshech Chokhmah
says no -- only deOraisos reflect how the universe was made. Which is why
we can say safeiq derabbanan lehaqeil. R Elchanan Wasseman disagrees.

And the SA haRav has a position more like your context. He says that YT
sheini shel galios is a connection to the very same supernal and lemaalah
min hazeman of the holiday as the first day is. It's the nature of the
connection to the metaphysical reality that differs, not what is being
connected to.

REED (MmE 2:74-77) appears to be saying something similar. That in EY
and at certain times, we have less need to connect to dina rafuya, and so
we only have the dina qushya of the first day. After all, dina rafuya is
more necessary when one stands in judgment as a yachid. If the needs the
services of a condemnded man, he will be brought back from the gallows.
But Jewish society in EY places one firmly within the tzibbur, both
current and historical.

GCT and :-)@@ii!

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)