[Avodah] Chronology: Aruch Hashulchan and Mishne Brurah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 6 14:11:31 PDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 10:37:09PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: My reason for citing all this is as follows: RMB claims that "the MB was
: written before AhS OC", but that is not accurate. The list does prove that
: the AhS on Hilchos Shabbos was written after the MB on Hilchos Shabbos.

MB publication dates (acc "The Chafetz Chaim", pg 603, by R Moshe M
Yoshor):
    vol 4:  1884
    vol 1:  1886
    vol 2:  1891
    vol 3:  1898
    vol 5:  1902
    vol 6:  1906 (19 Marcheshvan 5667, 7 Nov)

So, that would give the AhS a 22 year window in which to complete
OC while still finishing first.

The AhS was published qunterus by qunterus, and collected into
book-length volumes by his daughter. The qunterusin came out from
1884-1893.

So, some of the AhS did come out after the MB. Perhaps even some of
its OC.

RYH cited himself (Benei Banim 2:8) in an earlier iteration. He said
his grandfather RYEHenkin held the AhS was the more authoritative seifer
of pesaq, giving a number of reasons. One was that nearly all of the AhS
post-dates the MB.

Which is really all I meant. I just didn't bother with the "nearly all"
for what was a tangent.

BTW, RYEH's other reasons:
2- The AhS will cite the MB before giving his own pesaq when he knows he
is being choleiq.
3- It covers the entire SA. (Again, "nearly all".)
4- He takes accepted practice into account.
5- RYME was a practicing rav, who had a qehillah and more hands-on
   experience in halakhah lemaaseh.

(Interestingly, he does not cite RSMandel's reason: The MB tells you what
it's for -- to help posqim who might not own all the latest acharonim.
The CC doesn't say he is out to provide pesaq itself.)

GCT!

Micha Berger             You will never "find" time for anything.
micha at aishdas.org        If you want time, you must make it.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Charles Buxton
Fax: (270) 514-1507