[Avodah] Rav Melamed on Metal Pots

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Oct 6 09:17:34 PDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 05:26:45PM +0300, Lisa Liel wrote:
: On 10/6/2016 12:07 AM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
: >In any case, beli'ah could never be guaranteed to be zero. Knowing for sure
: >not even one cell remains from the meat that was last in the pot??? So yeah,
: >we really are talking about getting the beli'ah down to ignorable levels,
: >even in lekhat-chilah cases.
:
: We don't care about a cell.  We don't care about anything that
: cannot be perceived with unaided human senses....

Yes, which was why I used a cell to illustrate what I mean by obiously
ignorable levels.

Since the pot isn't stained be'ein, beli'ah is also imperceptible by
human senses, though. Can't be seen, smelled, tasted nor felt. (Nor
heard nor detectible by proprioception, for that matter.)

To my mind, the whole issue of beli'ah vs bitul is about the definition
of ignorable. Where indvidual cells and other obviously imperceptibles
don't exist, but other things I would have considered imprerceptible
is.

And not only do we count beli'ah, we worry it might be nearly the same
volume as the keli itself!

It was for this reason that in prior iterations I floated the idea that
nosein ta'am had more to do with intangible ta'am -- c.f. ta'am hamitzvah
-- than literal tongue sensation of molecules. Although, if the kefeilah
can taste the food, of course there is cognitive taam as well.

GCT!

Micha Berger             What you get by achieving your goals
micha at aishdas.org        is not as important as
http://www.aishdas.org   what you become by achieving your goals.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              - Henry David Thoreau