[Avodah] Mezonos Becomes HaMotzi

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 30 03:27:55 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 06:08:10AM -0400, R Akiva Miller replied to
R Marty Bluke:
:> The Aruch Hashulchan writes that there are 2 distinct reasons
:> why hamotzi exempts other foods from a beracha:
:> 1. The food is tafel to the bread
:> 2. Hamotzi paturs any food that is coming to fill you up
:> He doesn't explain why this should be so he just states it as
:> a fact, can someone explain the sevara behind this?

: I have heard some claim that the word "lechem" can mean "food" in a very
: broad sense...
: I don't know how true any of the above is, but if it *is* accurate, then I
: think it would explain this Aruch Hashulchan, because all food is "lechem",
: even if there's no bread around for the other food to be tafel to.

But haMotzi lekhem min ha'aretz still would only cover food made from gedulei
qarqa, no?

I believe the other RMB is paraphrasing AhS 177:1 <http://j.mp/2dwijgU>.
That is where my bewilderment started. He says that it covers
1- Food that is is normal to be qoveia se'udah on, lelafeis bahem es
haps; and
2- ve'afilu okhlim belo pas, because of iqar and tafeil.

I guess you could recast my question to asking what the maqor is for #2.
Apparently the MB and AhS (*) wondered about the sevara as well, and
offered their opinions.

The AhS says it's implied from Tosafos (Berakhos 41a, "hilkhita"),
who do note that Rashi speaks of lelafeis in terms of iqar and tafeil --
aand then asks questions about it to end up concluding that what the
gemara is including beyond lelafeis and normal iqar and tafeil is to
extend tefeilus beyond lelafeis.

As the AhS says: vedo"q.

(* In chronological order. While RYME started writing AhS first, he started
with CM. The MB was written before AhS OC, and is in fact cited in it.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Worrying is like a rocking chair:
micha at aishdas.org        it gives you something to do for a while,
http://www.aishdas.org   but in the end it gets you nowhere.
Fax: (270) 514-1507