[Avodah] Mezonos Becomes HaMotzi

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 28 03:08:10 PDT 2016

R' Marty Bluke wrote:

> The Aruch Hashulchan writes that there are 2 distinct reasons
> why hamotzi exempts other foods from a beracha:
> 1. ...
> 2. Hamotzi paturs any food that is coming to fill you up
> He doesn't explain why this should be so he just states it as
> a fact, can someone explain the sevara behind this?

I have heard some claim that the word "lechem" can mean "food" in a very
broad sense. I don't know whether (according to them) "food" was the
original meaning and then it got narrowed to "bread", or perhaps it was
originally "bread" and then got expanded to "food". Either way, the claim
was not that this was a slang or colloquial term (like using "dough" for
"money"), but more like how "kesef" took on "money" as its main meaning,
leaving "silver" almost secondary.

I don't know how true any of the above is, but if it *is* accurate, then I
think it would explain this Aruch Hashulchan, because all food is "lechem",
even if there's no bread around for the other food to be tafel to.

Akiva Miller