[Avodah] KeViAs Seudah, MeZonos HaMotzi

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 23 07:31:22 PDT 2016

On 22/09/16 22:45, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> Also, although sleeping is ALWAYS KaVuAh, nevertheless no Beracha is made
> even when sleeping the night.

Even if you have not already said a bracha in that sukah?!

On 22/09/16 22:38, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> R' Akiva Miller wrote:
>> But there is another concept also, that bread is the ikar because it is the
>> king of all foods.

> There is no question that at the time of Chazal and until recently bread
> was the king of all foods. But that has changed. In today's world bread
> is in no way shape or form the king of foods anymore. As someone pointed
> out many fancy restaurants don't even serve bread any more.

This also has implications elsewhere. The halacha is that if a person
who does not eat pas palter is a guest in the home of someone who does,
he *must* eat the bread he is given, because not to do so would be an
insult to the host. This only applies to bread, since it's the ikkar food,
so a host feels it keenly if one refuses to eat it. With other foods the
host doesn't mind if a guest doesn't eat, because maybe he doesn't like
it, or is just not that hungry. Now that the social status of bread has
changed, I wonder whether this halacha now applies to (1) no foods; or
(2) all foods; or (3) some foods but not others.

(In the din of pas palter itself we can say that since the original
gezera included this exception we can use it even when the reason for
the exception no longer applies.)

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other