[Avodah] Mezonos Rolls?

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 18 05:29:43 PDT 2016

R' Micha Berger posted:

> Somewhat related is R Asher Weiss's pesaq on wraps, which
> just reached the English side of Tvunah (a web site of his
> Torah) <http://en.tvunah.org/2016/09/16/bracha-on-wraps>:
>
> Conclusion:
>> Wraps are eaten in place of bread and Pita to make a
>> sandwich type food. This is commonly eaten as a meal with
>> kvius seuda, hence the wraps retain the status of bread
>> and their bracha is hamotzi.

Is he suggesting that if one ate a wrap by itself as a snack, it would be
mezonos? How it is different than a pita?

> My LOR holds that food made from belilah raqa are mezonos,
> regardless of qevi'as se'udah. Unlike cake or crackers.

Are you saying that cake is made from belilah avah? Every cake I've ever
seen my wife make comes from an easily pourable batter, not anything like a
bread dough.

> Similarly, he holds that cooked dough would never be a
> hamotzi, even if one is qovei'ah se'udah.
> I am wondering if RAW would say that one should make a
> hamotzi for a spaghetti and meatball dinner too.

Is there *anyone* who holds that a cooked dough such as spaghetti would
ever be hamotzi? (To be clear, I am referring to a dough that is cooked but
not baked, which means the entire range of pasta, but excludes bagels which
are baked.)

R' Gershon wrote:

> Rabbi Bodner of Berachos book fame told me that he showed
> various types of wraps to Rav Elyashiv z"l & he said they
> are mezonos EVEN bekvias Seudah

Again, WHY?

Akiva Miller