[Avodah] Mezonos Rolls?

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 16 04:41:25 PDT 2016

R' Yitzchok Levine wrote:

> My wife returned on EL from EY last Sunday.  She had ordered
> mehadrin food. It came with a roll marked "Mezonos." It is hard
> for me to understand how the Mehadrin hashgacha could label a
> roll "Mezonos" in the light of the following. I can only wonder
> why people are being misled.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any sources, but the question should not go
unanswered, so I will say this, based on what I've heard over the years:

There are poskim - and I understand that they tend to be Chassidic - who
hold that Kvias Seudah in this case is determined ONLY by the amount of Pas
Habbah B'Kisinin that one eats, regardless of what other foods are also
eaten. In other words, one would never Hamotzi unless if the amount of
mezonos eaten is above the shiur of "three or four k'beitzim". If so, there
is no problem with saying mezonos on such a roll, and the appropriate
brachos on the other foods in that airline meal, and eating it all in a
manner exactly as if the roll had been real bread.

There is another question to ask beyond the manner in which the roll is
eaten, and that is to identify whether the roll - in and of itself - is Pas
Habaah B'Kisnin or Pas Gamur. I think that the above-mentioned poskim tend
to look strictly at the ingredients: As long as there is less water than
juice, oil, eggs, etc., then they identify it as Pas Habaah B'Kisnin even
if it tastes like regular bread.

If the poskim of the hechsher on those airline meals hold as I've
described, then they are 100% entitled to label the roll as "mezonos", and
it is unfair to accuse them of "misleading" anyone. One might argue that
they *are* misleading people, since the hechsher ought to know that most
people hold differently, but my guess is that they would respond, "We hold
this to be the ikar hadin, and if some - or most - people want to be
machmir, they are entitled to do so."

Akiva Miller