[Avodah] [Chanufa] Mourning an Abusive Parent

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 7 17:56:58 PDT 2016

On 8 Sep 2016 8:19 AM, "Micha Berger" <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 07:33:09AM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi wrote:
> : I'm pretty suspicious of employing a Derasha (HKBH is a parent, 3 Shutfim
> : in a person) LeTaAma Dekra, to modify the application of the Issur of
> : Chanufa.
> See the Birkhas Shemu'el (Yevamos 3:3) explaining Tosafos on Kesuvos...
> See also the Minchas Chinukh (#33), who concludes Yom Kippur is mechaper
> KAvE without asking their mechilah because KAvE is BALM.
> On the other hand, the Rambam on Peiah 1:1 clearly labels KAvE as BALC.

It would seem that notwithstanding the BALM aspect within the Mitzvah of
KAVeEim, it is not greater than the Mitzvah of honouring and respecting
BD.

Yet the Issur of Chanufa applies specifically to not bowing to accept a
Pesak of a preceding BD just because they preceded the present BD that
deems their ruling to be incorrect.