[Avodah] Rabbi Mazuz bashes 'yichud room' wedding custom

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Sep 6 14:59:37 PDT 2016

On 06/09/16 09:47, MDeutsch via Avodah wrote:

>> From http://tinyurl.com/z87vq5c
>>> Rabbi Meir Mazuz, Head of the Kiseh Rachamim Yeshiva...
>>> In addition to the problem of imposing Ashkenazi customs on Jews of Sephardi
>>> heritage, Rabbi Mazuz asserted that there as an inherent problem with the
>>> notion of "yichud room," in that it leads to immodesty...
>>> Therefore, Rabbi Mazuz concluded: "It is a divine command to cancel this
>>> custom. May it not be remembered or invoked ever. Even among Ashkenazim."

> Only problem is that one of the shitos in the gemara in kesubos is that
> chupah = yichud

And AFAIK Sefardim do this *after* the wedding, when the couple go to their
actual home.   At the wedding the bride is still an arusah, not a nesuah,
whereas Ashkenazi brides are nesuos (which leads to a machlokes whether they
must cover their hair at the wedding, or only the next morning).

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other