[Avodah] aveilut for an abuser

Harry Maryles via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 29 14:51:20 PDT 2016

On Monday, August 29, 2016 3:59 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 03:29:49PM +0300, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
>: Do the laws of aveilut change at all if a parent sexually abuses a
>: child and the parent dies?

> I have a friend, slighly different case. The child was not the victim,
> and the father's violence was not expressed sexually. He was told by Rav
> Reuven Feinstein that he was obligated to sit shiv'ah...

My son had a classmate (and good friend) in high school whose father
murdered his mother when he was a young child. His father went to jail. He
was raised by his grandmother and never spoke to his father again. When
his father died, he did not sit Shiva and and was not Noheg Aveilus
at all.

Was he right?

HM