[Avodah] Using an oven for both fleishigs and milchigs

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 25 12:23:05 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 02:11:36PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: A. We have previously seen that a microwave oven should not be kashered
: back and forth from milchigs to fleishigs, since we are concerned that
: one may forget the status of the microwave and might inadvertently cook
: dairy in it after using it for meat. However, Rav Schachter said that
: there is reason to be lenient with regard to kashering a conventional
: oven. In a conventional oven, the food is always placed in pans and
: does not directly touch the surfaces of the oven. Additionally, an oven
: will not fill with steam to the same degree as a microwave....

I don't understand either of these distinctions, for balebateshe reasons:

1- How often do people put food directly in the microwave without a plate?
More often than people using the oven grates directly?

2- As RMR just noted last week, how much steam do you typically find
fogging up your microwave? How often to you open your oven and a cloud
of vapor slithers out the opening door?

Micha Berger             Problems are not stop signs,
micha at aishdas.org        they are guidelines.
http://www.aishdas.org           - Robert H. Schuller
Fax: (270) 514-1507