[Avodah] Using a dishwasher for both fleishigs and milchigs

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 25 12:29:23 PDT 2016

>From R' Asher Weis's talmidim's website, a translation of a shu"t by RAW.
http://en.tvunah.org/2016/08/25/dishwasher-for-meat-and-dairy/

Question:

I was wondering what the issue of using a dishwasher for both meat
and dairy would be considering it is NAT BAR NAT BAR NAT. and it is
additionally lpgam due to the detergent. I have seen it quoted in Or
Yitzchak by Rav Abbadi from Lakewood. And wondering if it is what to
rely on.

Secondly, and more peripheral, where did the misconception come from that
a Sephardi follows Sephardi Rabanim, and Ashkenazi follow Ashkenazi? Me
being a Sephardi I feel obligated to follow Rav Yosef. But is it the
right way of thinking? Thank you.

Answer:

There are hundreds of different models of dishwashers, each one needs
to be checked to determine its status for using for milk and meat. I
presume you are referring to using the same dishwasher for meat and milk
one after the other and not at the same time.

Some of the potential problems include, dishwashers with a hot rinse cycle
that does not use detergent and so does not make the taam pagum. Some
dishwashers have drainage and/gaskets that accumulate actual pieces of
food which are not immediately nifgam, and are not Nat bar Nat because
the actual food is there.

Some wait 24 hours, or run a pareve cycle and then use from meat to milk,
but many are stringent not to use at all for meat and milk, and this is
certainly a commendable and advisable practice.