[Avodah] plurals

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 18 10:40:25 PDT 2016

In a message dated 8/18/2016 3:55:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
familyp2 at actcom.net.il writes:

Sorry--I  just realized that that was probably a little obscure.  What I
meant  is that the word ends with a yud (benoni), so in the plural should be
with  two yudim.

Kol tuv,
Simi Peters

You are being logical and grammatical, but that's not common usage.   No
one says "beinoni'im," everyone says "beinonim."

I'm pretty sure the same is true of Tanach words like "Tzidoni"  -- I
think the plural is Tzidonim even if maybe logically it should be  "Tzidoni'im."

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..