[Avodah] FW: plurals

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 18 04:23:55 PDT 2016

On 18/08/16 03:55, Simi Peters wrote:
> Not that I know of, but it's al mishkal 'orvi--orvi'im' which is
> somewhere in Menahot.  I can check for you later exactly where.

> Sorry--I just realized that that was probably a little obscure.  What I
> meant is that the word ends with a yud (benoni), so in the plural should be
> with two yudim.

And yet the gemara has it with one yud, and therefore so does every
sefer that cites it, most famously, of course, the Sefer Shel Benonim,
aka "Tanya".  If it's a typo in the gemara, and a more accurate MS has
two yuds, then one can say the common usage is incorrect, because it
derives from a mistake.  But if the MSS all have one yud then we must
say "benonim" is correct.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other