[Avodah] Pesukim LeShemos Anoshim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 18 03:37:01 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 01:24:47PM +1000, Isaac Balbin wrote:
:> What do you mean "also"?   Selig is the German spelling.  It's pronounced
:> "Zelig".

: The end part it pronounced it at least two ways by Germans, but not with
: a Kuf or Gimel sound.

FWIW, I usuallly hear the Yiddish pronounced "Zeligk" and by the more
Polisher and Galicianisher, "Zeiligk". (These are the same people who
make a berakhah to the "MEI-lekh ha'olam"...)

I thought it was a similar phonology pattern to "bundt" -- using the
voice for only the first part of a plosive sound.

Gotta admit, not too interested in the German original, unless the
discussion was about a /Yekke/ who was looking for the appropriate pasuq
for his name.