[Avodah] Pesukim LeShemos Anoshim

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 20:24:47 PDT 2016

> On 18 Aug 2016, at 12:51 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:

> On 17/08/16 22:32, Isaac Balbin wrote:

>> I did see someone claim the Hebrew word Chanun has the same meaning
>> as the Yiddish זעליג but that is news to me and I'm skeptical.

> Chanun and Asher basically mean the same thing.

Not sure how "basically" fits in here

>> Seems the plot thickens because there is also a relationship with  S elig.

> What do you mean "also"?   Selig is the German spelling.  It's pronounced
> "Zelig".

The end part it pronounced it at least two ways by Germans, but not with
a Kuf or Gimel sound.

Which Posuk would a German Jew use. I've heard Chof and Ish as the end
pronunciations. In Gittin you'd probably need to write both.

>> The Oxford dictionary has been influenced by Woody Allens movie (Zelig)

> Which was about a character with the Yiddish name.

But they then define Zelig as the attributes presumably of that character,
and hence it's some new meaning, although strange that Oxford adopted it.