[Avodah] Pesukim LeShemos Anoshim

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 19:32:46 PDT 2016

I hope to find the time to see the Mahari Mintz, thanks, but my feeling
is that if you did a survey of the Zeligs in the world today, they spell
it with a Gimel. I guess your Uncle did to on his Kesuva? I just opened
up my Tshuvos Minchas Asher, and he spells it with a Gimel.

See also <http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=13609&st=&pgnum=239>

Rav Zelig Reuven Bengis z'l also held by that previously mentioned passuk.

I did see someone claim the Hebrew word Chanun has the same meaning as
the Yiddish [Zelig] but that is news to me and I'm skeptical.

If someone has access to Bar Ilan I'd be interested to see the hits on
Zelik vs Zelig.

I always thought it was אשר because I came across "Usher Zelig" names.

Seems the plot thickens because there is also a relationship with Selig.

Google told me
    "from the Yiddish vocabulary word selig happy, fortunate (modern German
    selig), used as a vernacular translation of the Hebrew name Asher
    <https://themeaningofthename.com/asher/>"

The Oxford dictionary has been influenced by Woody Allens movie (Zelig)
[which I haven't seen] and uses another meaning but this some new meaning
from what I can tell and unrelated to the name as used by Jews.