[Avodah] Pesukim LeShemos Anoshim

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 19:15:19 PDT 2016

On 17/08/16 19:55, Isaac Balbin wrote:
> This opens up the Pandora’s box regarding soundex in Halacha, which I
> think is most (only) germane in Hilchos Gittin. On a Kesuba, I’m sure
> that they write it with a Gimmel (unless parents specifically taught
> the child to spell the name with a Kuf).

Again, if you're really interested I suggest you look up the Mahari Mintz
that the Kav Noki quotes in footnote 18 on the page I sent you.  If you
just want to speculate then I will repeat for the third time that the only
reason to spell it with a gimmel is to copy the German spelling, which most
people have no interest in doing.  Yiddish words of non-Hebrew origin are
usually spelt phonetically, and that means words that end in G in German
end in kuf in Yiddish.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other