[Avodah] Legions

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 11:32:54 PDT 2016

On 17/08/16 12:36, Micha Berger wrote:
> Chazal wrote tellisos or taliyos (or perhaps with a tzeirei, as you
> denote), and Sepharadim never switched.

Where did Chazal use either of those plurals?   I couldn't find any
example of "tallesos".

Mishna Zavim 4:5, according to the Kauffman manuscript, has "t'li'os"
(tes with a shevo, lamed with a chirik molei, alef with cholom molei, sof),
and in 4:7 it has "telayos" (tes with a shevo, lamed with a komatz, yud
with a cholom molei, sof).  It also has the singular as "t'lis", (tes with
a shevo, lamed with a chirik molei, sof), whereas usually it spells it
"taleis" (tes with a patoch, lamed with a tzeireh, sof).

> "Tallios" comes from treating the Greek "-is" suffix the way it sounds,

There is no Greek "-is" suffix.  The Greek is "stole".  The final sof (:-))
was added by Hebrew.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other