[Avodah] intelligent design

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 06:32:08 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 10:53:32AM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
:                                In this chapter of some 30+ pages he
: brings briefly R. Dessler which he brings as being as opposition to
: basing things on science which is not reliable but rather relying on
: Daas Torah. This is not a study of the thoughts of REED and again this
: occupied a small portion of this single chapter.

DT,which he equates with emunas chakhamim. IOW, he tells you to believe
because of mesorah, not science.

REED:
:>> We ordinary mortals, who are not blessed with the wisdom and insights
:>> of Chazal, cannot make such pronouncements regarding any specific
:>> episode or rabbinic advice. Nevertheless, we should take to heart
:>> the essential message that there are times when the Divine Will
:>> obscures an individual's wisdom.

Me, paraphrasing R' A Cohen's footnote:
:> In his Mipeninai HaRav, R. Herschel Shachter quotes Rav Soloveitchik
:> as having expressed this sentiment also.

RET:
: I believe that the great majority of talmidim of RYBS were taught that
: ultimately every talmid has to think for himself and not just accept
: blindly what his rebbe and certainly not other great rabbis say

Which is not what REED or RHS are actually talking about. REED was
arguing against standing in judgement of one's rebbe. "[N]ot to say,
G-d forbid, that they certainly erred". It is a misquote to take
his statement of bitul of my daas to the rabbis as a denial of
automous thinking when the paragraph is about denying dismissive
thinking.

Micha Berger             Every child comes with the message
micha at aishdas.org        that God is not yet discouraged with
http://www.aishdas.org   humanity.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Rabindranath Tagore