[Avodah] How to teach emuna

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 10 11:22:58 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 01:27:06PM -0400, Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer wrote:
: Of course one can google and go to Wikipedia and find rebuttals. At
: that point, as RNW says, you (or your interlocutor) must be a judge,
: not a lawyer...

Yes, but RNW is playing lawyer for the emunah side, and he isn't allowing
the interlocuter a layer for the kefirah side, nor to play one himself.
A dayan cannot judge by only listening to one to'ein.

: Rebuttals of the KP and ID are a dime a dozen and worth about as
: much.

This gets to the issue of proof vs evidence / strong argument.

If you really want to present KP or ID, present them as arguments by
pre-emptively acknowleding one could poke holes in either. A proof is
all or nothing, which is why it's wrong to present arguments as proofs,
and in the age of the cynical -- counterproductive.

But as evidence.... It is valid to conclude that KP + ID + the beauty of a
good devar Torah + ... are all most easily explained by positing Hashem's
existence, to the point that the amount of evidence is a convincing
inductive argument. Albeit not proof, but still beyond reasonable doubt.

I still agree with R/Prof Shalom Carmy's 2007 post, though, in which
he eschews the entire deductive philosophical approach to emunah, whether we
speak of proof or of justification. Advocating the more experiential
approach we just saw RLJK attribute to RYBS. Evidence as actual evidence,
not as a description of an argument.