[Avodah] How to teach emuna

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 10 07:17:47 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:
> On 10/08/16 03:37, Marty Bluke wrote:
>> The Ramban that I quoted states explicitly that the majority of Jews
>> completely forgot Torah and Mitzvos.

> He refers to Yerov'am, not Yoshiyahu.   I don't know his source that this
> happened in Yerov'am's time, especially since the gemara tells us that
> even by Ach'av's time they were still keeping kosher, and the names of
> Ach'av's sons show that they still worshipped Hashem -- he didn't call them
> Achazbaal and Baalram, but at any rate it has no connection to what was
> happening in Yehudah, where they had and attended the BHMK even while they
> were serving AZ in Gei Ben Hinnom.

The Ramban writes that "shakchu rov haam hatorah v'hamitzvos l'gamri",
he writes most of the nation completely forgot torah and mitzvos without
any qualifications.

The Radak (Melachim 2 22:8) comments the following on the story with
Yoshiyahu:
    "Manasseh was king for a long time, for he reigned 55 years, and he
    did evil in the eyes of G-d, following the disgusting ways of the
    gentiles. He built altars to idolatry in the house of the Lord and he
    made the Torah be forgotten by the Jews. None turned to it, for all
    turned to other gods and the laws of the gentiles, and in 55 years the
    Torah was forgotten... so the Torah scroll was a surprise for them."