[Avodah] Zelig (was: pesukim leshemos anashim)

elazar teitz via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 18 10:51:06 PDT 2016

>> Whilst it certainly sounded like Zelik when said, it is most commonly
>> written with the Gimmel.

>As I explained, that's because in German it's spelt with a G.  But since
>Yiddish no longer slavishly follows German spelling, that should be
>irrelevant.   And even when it was fashionable to pretend to be writing
>German, halocho seems not to have taken any notice, and the first spelling
>given in the Beis Shmuel is with a kuf.

     In Oholei Sheim, by thr Ba'al Kitzur Shulchan Aruch -- a sefer devoted
exclusively to sheimos gittin and the one most commonly used, he writes
that the default spelling is with a gimel unless the individual writes it
with a kuf.  Likewise the Get M'kushar (R. Arye Leib Zinz), who writes that
the German pronunciation is with a kuf, but "bimdinos eilu" it is
pronounced with a gimel, and should be written thus, absent evidence to the
contrary in a particular case.  Halacha l'ma'ase, this is what is done.

EMT