[Avodah] ohr lagoyim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 8 16:18:54 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 05:40:42PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: >Then how could it be conjugated "lekhahein Li" (Shemos 29:1)?
:
: "Melech" and "sar" are statuses, but "limloch" and "lisror" are verbs.
: For that matter, the verb  "limloch" doesn't actually involve *doing*
: anything, it's just a verbal form of "to be king".

Which is why it's intransitive. I included the "Li" in my quote
because the prepositional phrase was part of my point. "Lekhahein"
is not the verb of being a kohein or being made a kohein, but
doing a kohein's job.

Also, Yeshaiah 61:10, "kechasan yekhahein pe'eir".

Even any case, I found this in the Seforno on the pasuq:

    And with this you will be a segulah from among them [referring
    to "vehyisem li segulah" in the previous pasuq]. Because you will be
    a "mamlekhes kohanim" to understand and teach to the entire human
    species that all will call in Hashem's name and to serve Him
    "with one shoulder"...

Which not only makes my diqduq point, he clealy speaks of a duty
to actively instruct the world -- ROS writes "lehoros lekhol hamin
ha'enoshi".

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Malchus: How can some forms of
Fax: (270) 514-1507                         "unity" be over domineering?