[Avodah] meanings

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 30 12:50:05 PDT 2016

On 06/30/2016 02:13 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> I believe, though, that what happened with ve'ishei Yisrael is simpler.
> Birkhas Avodah ("Retzeih") was originally written for the kohanim to
> say in bayis sheini. (Tamid 5:1)
>
> In that original context, "Ve'ishei Yisrael usefilasam teqabel
> beratzon..." works.
>
> When birkhas Avodah was modified to become art of Shemoneh Esrai in
> a world without qorbanos, how do we salvage this line? Do we move the
> period so that what we are folding it into the new phrase
> 	vehasheiv:
> 	   - es a'avodah lidvir beisekha,
> 	   - ve'ishei Yisrael.
> Or do we repurpose the old sentence to mean "And may you lovingly accept
> the ishei yisrael and their tefillos" - which I know is asking you to
> restore the BHMQ bfirst?

I don't see the problem, or the "repurposing".   The phrase means exactly
what it always meant.  The only change the bracha needed to adapt it to
the new reality was the addition of a new request, to restore the avodah,
before the request to accept our korbanos and tefillos.  Once the new
request is fulfilled, the next one won't be a problem.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other