[Avodah] “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).” ― Mark Twain

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 30 11:44:26 PDT 2016

We all know the minority report by Joshua and Caleb showers its praises on the land and counsels b’nai Yisroel  to
go up to it. The ten other “spies” give a very negative report against the land and can see only giants, fortified cities
and difficulties they feel are insurmountable. These ten men of small stature conclude their report with the following:
“And there we saw the giants (nephilim), the sons of the giant (Anak), from among the giants; And we were like
grasshoppers in our own eyes and so we were in their sight. (Bamidbar 13:33).

The Midrash states that at these words, God said:
“I have no objection to your saying, ‘We were like grasshoppers in our own eyes,’ but it is inappropriate if you say,
‘and so were were in their sight.’ How do you know how you appeared to them? How do you know if you did not appear
to them  to be angels?” (Midrash Bamidar Rabbah, XVL, II).

This is a profound psychological insight. How many times we feel insignificant and think everyone else looks at us the
same. Just because you feel inferior doesn’t mean you are. That’s the meaning of “You’re your own worst enemy."

Shabbat shalom.
ri