[Avodah] ohr lagoyim

Saul Guberman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 31 11:40:06 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM, saul newman via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> when did this concept in chazal begin?  to which generation could it
> practically have been implied?
> was it ever taken seriously?
>
> SNIP
>
> so i guess i don't get when this concept was meant to be relevant,
> practically.

A quick search shows that Ohr La Goyim is mentioned 3 times in Yishayahu.
It is a real concept.  It is meant for every generation.  That you then
show we have not lived up to that goal at various times and/or other
nations do not see us that way does not negate the concept.  It shows we or
they need work in this area.