[Avodah] Laining difference between Israel and Chutz Laaretz.

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 30 18:35:11 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 02:18:52PM -0400, Jack Stroh via Avodah wrote:
: Hi. This is my first post. Why don't we catch up chutz laaretz with
: Israel by doubling up "Achrei Mot and Kdoshim"? That would minimize the
: disparity? What was the thinking of Chazal? Thanks.

Back a step...

Our current leining schedule post-dates Chazal, the standardization
ceoms from the geonim. And originally it was in use in Bavel. In EY,
3 or 3-1/2 year leining systems were more common.

So the systme was designed for chu"l; the parshios chu"l shuls aren't
doubling up aren't supposed to be doubled. It's Israel that slipped out
of proper alignment with geonic intent. So the question really is why
doesn't Israel fall back into line and minimize their drift from the
original geonic schedule. Well, this year there are no doubled parshios
for them to split until Matos-Masei -- just in time to realign Devarim
with the 9 days.

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Yesod: When does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507               require one to be strict with another?