[Avodah] rights of adopted parents

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 24 13:47:07 PDT 2016

On 05/24/2016 03:38 PM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:

> I believe that Chabad is against adopting babies because of the various halachic problems.

Not to adopting, but to pretending that the child is not adopted, which was
the fashion in the early and middle 20th century.  By the '70s this fad had
mostly passed, and it became accepted that adopted children need to know the
truth from the beginning.

> For example,  there are debates about yichud and how to call the son to the Torah

There's not much debate about yichud -- almost everyone says it's forbidden.
Certainly in Chabad there's no debate at all; the Rebbe paskened that it's
forbidden, and that's that.

> see however http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=1628

See the last piece, at the end of page 2, by R Eliezerov, which explains
the confusion that some people have.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other