[Avodah] meat and fish

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 19 04:15:29 PDT 2016

On 05/18/2016 01:01 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> The CS suggests explanations for the Rambam, including
>
> 1- The gemara was only concerned about a specific breed of fish which
> we don't eat anymore.

Or perhaps we (i.e. middle Europeans) *do* eat this species but the Rambam
(in Egypt) didn't and was unaware of it.  I know the two Aris have identified
it as a species that exists only in the Euphrates, and thus is eaten only
in Turkey and Iraq, but that's not information the CS could have had.  It
could just as easily have been a species that also lives in the Danube, but
not in the Nile or the Mediterranean.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other