[Avodah] meat and fish

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 18 10:01:20 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:35:18PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: A friend of mine said he listen to a shiur of Rav Herschel Schacter on
: yutorah and he noted that the Rambam doesn;t mention anything about not
: eating meat and fish together. Therefore, RHS pakened that anyone who feels
: that there is no health problem can eat the two together

In terms of acharonim, it's the Yad Efraim (#116) CS (shu"t #101)
prohibiting and the MA (OC 173) permitting.

The MA says nishtanah hateva.

The CS suggests explanations for the Rambam, including

1- The gemara was only concerned about a specific breed of fish which
we don't eat anymore.

2- The Rambam omits it as he does any other piece of medical
advice that doesn't work.

According to R' Avraham b haRambam, nishtanah hateva means the scientific
theory has changed. WHch would make this idea a paralel to the MA's
reasoning.

The YE lists numerous posqim who prohibit, appealing to authority
rather than giving a sevara

But I think there is more to the story than included in this report.
It's non-trivial to tell people -- especially Ashkenazim -- to follow
the Rambam against both the SA (including the Rama) and commonly
accepted practice.

I am not questioning the conclusion, I just think we are missing
critical pieces of the argument.

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Netzach: When is domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507                          taking control too extreme?