[Avodah] how to fix a mamzer

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 18 09:51:33 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:28pm IDT, R Eli Turkel wrote:
:> I don't think there is such a distinction. Yichus determines whether they
:> are your children or not.
:
:> Well, yes, that's what yichus *is*.
:
: Not necessarily. yichus refers to marriage...

I assume you mean: Yichus refers to a persons lineage WRT whom they and
their descendents may marry. Do I understand correctly?

:                                             It might have nothing to do
: with mitzvot like honoring one's parents and other connections between
: parents and child.

Is there a source for making such a chiluq, or are you just posing a hava amina for discusion.

I was told lehalkhah ulemasseh that an adoptive child's honoring his
parents is a qiyum of kavod harav, not kibud av va'eim. So for KAvA,
some kind of genetic parentage is involved.

At 12:32pm IDT, RET continued (on a second aspect of the discussion):
: RYBS is well to have said that Lincoln freed the slaves and the whole idea
: of shifcha today is ridiculous

I would like to have the grapevine confirmed on this one. But in any
case...

When slavery is illegal, what's the halachic line between avadim and
shevuyim?

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Netzach: When is domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507                          taking control too extreme?