[Avodah] Shiur for Kesem today

Ilana Elzufon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 17 14:51:47 PDT 2016

RMB:

> Or do we say that when they were gozerin on kesamim, the gerzeirah didn't
> include a kesem equal to or smaller than a kegeris, and therefore we
> make no assumptions at all about where the kesem came from?

See Pit'chei Teshuvah 190:10, towards the end, quoting the Chatam Sofer.
Basically, he points out that ketamim are deRabbanan - and what's more, the
reason the Rabbis made the gezerah in the first place was because of the
severity of the laws of taharot. He says that even though that reason no
longer applies in our current circumstances, we can't nullify the gezerah
of ketamim altogether. But we certainly don't need to extend it beyond the
specifications of the original gezerah. So a ketem smaller than a k'gris
does not make a woman niddah, even nowadays when such a stain cannot
plausibly be attributed to a ma'akolet.

Kol tuv,
Ilana