[Avodah] Moadim Chagim Zmanim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 16 14:57:42 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 06:27:31PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: In both the Kiddush and Amidah of Yom Tov, we have several phrases:
: shabasos limnucha
: moadim l'simcha
: chagim uzmanim l'sason
:
: I have a pretty clear understanding of what Shabasos are...
: My first guess is that Moadim includes both Yom Tov and also Chol Hamoed,
: because they share the mitzvah of simcha, as specified. But then what are
: Chagim and Zmanim, and how are they distinct from each other, and are they
: the same in regards to Sason?

Apparently they are different aspects of the same thing. As in, "Chag
haMatzos haZeh, zeman Cheiruseinu."

There is a duality between zeman va'eis, as in a beris being be'ito uvizmano.
Quoting what I wrote in v15n74:
>                             ... RAKotler has a beautiful vort on the
> difference. Beqitzur to the point of omitting the beauty: eis = a
> point in the time sequence of a process. (RSRH would probably relate
> "eis" to "ad".) Be'ito, when the baby is ready. Zeman = a point in
> time according to a scedule. In this case, the morning of day 8 (or
> day 9 when a safeiq Shabbos situation arises). I wrote a vort for MmD
> on eis, zeman, qeitz, yamim, shanim, and Jewish time in general at
> <http://www.aishdas.org/mesukim/5764/mikeitz.pdf>.

In that vertl, I suegges that a qeitz is where the zeman and eis for the
end coincide. Thus, "miqeitz shenasayim yamim" is when the predetermined
number of years in jail were up AND when Yoseif was developmentally ready.
Shanim and yamim. Circular time and linear time.

A chag is a point in circular time, /ch-v-g/ related to /`-v-g/ to draw
a circle. It's a sacred eis.

But every chag coincides with a sacred zeman.

Micha Berger             Today is the 23rd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Netzach: How does my domination
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            stifle others?