[Avodah] Hallel on yom haamayt

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 13 11:44:58 PDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 06:24:08PM +0000, Harry Maryles wrote:
: RAS said Hallel on 5 Iyar no matter what day of the week it came out
: on...

Although RAS was niftar before the telecom explosion that caused much
of the RCA to shift position. As RGS recently wrote about R/Dr Aaron
Levine of Flatbush
<http://www.torahmusings.com/technology-halakhic-change-yom-ha-atzmaut>:

   In America, where the celebrations can be more easily controlled to
   avoid the desecration of Shabbos, many authorities did not recognize
   the change of date, among them Rav Ahron Soloveichik and Rav Hershel
   Schachter. They insisted that people recite Hallel on the fifth of Iyar
   -- the day of the miracle of the declaration of the State of Israel --
   regardless of when Israelis celebrate the day. Rav Aaron Levine's son,
   Rav Efraim Levine, told me that his father had to change his position
   on this question over time.

   Initially, Rav Levine followed Rav Soloveichik's ruling on this subject
   and instructed his congregants to always recite Hallel on the fifth of
   Iyar. However, the internet forced him to change his position. If I
   understand correctly from our brief conversation, Rav Levine's
   reasoning was that, in the past, Yom Ha-Atzma'ut celebrations were
   local, taking place in synagogues and schools with perhaps some
   articles in the Jewish newspaper. It was easy for a community to
   determine its own date to celebrate.

RAS might have decided similarly or not had he lived to see the day
when the primary intercontinental communication was the telephone,
not the aerogram. We can't know.

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Tifferes: What role does harmony
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   play in maintaining relationships?