[Avodah] how to 'fix' a mamzer

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 13 10:18:22 PDT 2016

On 05/13/2016 11:52 AM, M Cohen via Avodah wrote:
> R Tarfon at the end of the 3rd chap of kiddushin gives an eitza for a mamzer
> who wants to 'purified' - to have relations w a shifcha which will produce
> children avodim, and then free the children (who will then become regular
> Jews)
>
> 2 questions.
>
> 1. What is the heter to free the kids?
> (it's a torah prohibition to free them)

It's also prohibited to have relations with a shifcha, but Chazal
permitted a mamzer to do so for this purpose.

> 2. why bother in the first place. The kids are not related to him, and he
> did not fulfill pru u'revu thru them
> (the kids are m'yayachais to the mother, and not to him)

How do you know that?  The Torah says your children from a nochris are not
yours, but where does it say that your children from a shifcha are not yours?

> parenthetically I would think a similar kasha c be asked on a pasuk. Shemos
> 21:5  A Jew who is married to a regular jewess, has relations w a shifcha
>  and kids thru her (eved ivri)
> He decides he wants to 'stay' with his shifcha (I guess his relationship
> with his Jewish wife and kids isn't too good)

Why do you say that?  On the contrary, "veyatz'ah ishto imo" means his
wife goes in with him, i.e. lives with him at his owner's expense.  And
*only* a married eved ivri is allowed a shifcha.   The simple and expected
case is that he loves and gets along with *both* of his wives, and wants
to stay with both.

> The posuk calls his shifcha and kids as 'ishti and banay' - why?

Again, because she is his wife and they are his children.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other