[Avodah] Hallel on Yom Haazmaut

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 12 16:44:56 PDT 2016

On 05/12/2016 05:57 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> Rashi is saying that Yeshiah 30:29 promises another holiday in which
> Hallel will be said at night. Not a lack of other holidays with Hallel
> for lesser reasons, nor even another holiday with Hallel at night before
> establishing one to celbrate the complete ge'ulah.

I'm pretty sure this does exclude any other night-time hallel.   That,
after all, is the gemara's point in quoting the pasuk in the first place
-- to show that there is only one night on which hallel is said, and
therefore it is not said on Pesach Sheni.

I also don't see the implication that the future holiday's hallel will
be said at night.  All the pasuk seems to be saying is that there will
be a new yomtov on which you will say hallel, as you do on the night
that is sanctified for a chag.  Yeshayahu is merely citing an example
of an occasion when hallel is said, and could easily have cited a
different one instead, but he would have had to be more specific,
since there are many days on which hallel is said, and many on which
it is not.  By citing Pesach night as his example, he can get away
with saying, essentially, "like on hallel night", which is not ambiguous
because there is only one.  From this the gemara learns that there is
no hallel on Pesach Sheni.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other