[Avodah] which is more problematic

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 12 03:31:03 PDT 2016

R"n Lisa Liel wrote:

> It's caught on almost universally, but anyone who doesn't
> think the Knesset ought to be creating quasi-religious
> observances is likely to have a problem with it.

She wrote this in the context of Yom Hashoah, but I'd like to know
how/whether it might apply to Yom Haatzma'ut. Under the current rules, Yom
Haatzma'ut falls on 5 Iyar less than half the time. (In fact, a quick
glance at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Ha'atzmaut#Timing
shows that in the five years from 2013-17, it was *always* on a day other
than 5 Iyar.)

While I personally applaud the lessened chillul Shabbos that has resulted
from this change, I am concerned about saying Hallel (et al) on a day which
is not the actual anniversary. Was the impetus for the change from the
Knesset or from the rabanim?

Akiva Miller