[Avodah] which is more problematic

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 10 17:22:39 PDT 2016

On 5/10/2016 11:38 PM, saul newman via Avodah wrote:
> i wonder if one can consider [for the communities that do not sanction
> these two days]  which of Yom Hashoah and Yom Haatzmaut  would be more
> objectionable,  from both a halachic and hashkafic perspective.

Yom HaShoah is almost certainly more problematic.  When the government
of Israel asked the rabbis to make a Holocaust remembrance day, they
were told that Tisha B'Av and Asara B'Tevet (Yom kiddush klal) covered
it, and refused to create a separate day.  The Knesset created Yom
HaShoah themselves.

It's caught on almost universally, but anyone who doesn't think the
Knesset ought to be creating quasi-religious observances is likely to
have a problem with it.  Personally, I'm one of them, and while I won't
walk down the sidewalk whistling on Yom HaShoah, I don't otherwise pay
any attention to the day at all.

Lisa