[Avodah] kitniyot

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 2 12:21:50 PDT 2016

From:     Eli Turkel via Areivim <areivim at lists.aishdas.org>
> The following is probably mostly for Israel MO and based on observations
> and not statistics

> 1) A number of RZ rabbis still look for chumrot on kitniyot. I already
> mentioned kashering pots used with kitniyot and I just saw an article by
> a respected RY not allowing any kitniyot at all this coming shabbat
> which is not Pesach in Israel

RET sent me the article on the subject. The author forbid cooking
kitniyot and dried fruit (he doesn't actually address eating something
like store bought chummous although some of the reasons he gives (see
below) may apply).

The author gave three reasons for forbidding cooking kitniyot on Erev
Shabbat:

1) Since the minhag of not eating kitniyot is rooted in the psak of the
rishonim, we don't say "ho'il" (since a sefardi may drop in, you can
cook for yourself).
2) Since these products are forbidden, they're muktza
3) Handling them may bring you to eat them.

Regarding one: Like I quoted, there are poskim who do allow cooking
because of ho'il. But I found reasons 2 and 3 harder to understand.

Re #2: Shmirat Shabbat K'hilchata rules that treif meat isn't muktza on
Shabbat because you can give it to goy. At first I thought that was only
in a case where you are likely to give it to a goy, but he also rules
that challa tahora is not muktza (when tahara is practiced).  So what is
the difference in this case?

Re #3: Really? Is it assur to hande food, period, on a fast day?

On 5/2/2016 8:03 PM, Zev Sero wrote:
> 1. You can't tell people to buy something they don't want, no matter how
> silly you think their reason.

Of course you can't. However, community leaders can decide what message
to transmit. I heard Rav Amar state in the strongest terms that there is
no benefit to buying chameitz products from a non-Jew (instead of from a
Jew who sold his chameitz). He also discouraged looking for the "baked
after Pesach" label.

Ben