[Avodah] kitniyot

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 2 08:18:59 PDT 2016

On 05/02/2016 08:12 AM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> On a slightly different matter it is generally assumed that a store can sell its chametz as it is hefsed merubah.

Why does it need to be hefsed merubeh.  Mechiras chometz is 100% valid,
and everyone is entitled to rely on it no matter how easy it would be not to.
If people want to be machmir for themselves that's very nice but they have
no right to expect other people to follow their crazy chumros, any more
than they follow those of other people.

> OTOH there are communities that don't buy chametz that has been sold.
> Don't these contradict each other? what good does it do the
> supermarket to seel its chametz if no one will but it after Pesach?

It seems to me that this attitude rests on a fujndamental amhoratzus:
the idea that chametz she'avar alav hapesach is an inherent issur, an
issur cheftza, so that if you hold for some reason that mechiras chometz
is somehow flawed then you must hold that to the same extent the food sold
is tainted.

But chametz she'avar alav hapesach is a kenas on the owner for deliberately
or negligently transgressing Bal Yera'eh Uval Yimatzei.  Therefore even if
you don't wish to rely on mechiras chametz, and destroy all your own chametz
rather than sell it, the shopkeeper is not obligated to share your crazy
chumra, and when he sold his chametz you must admit that he did so beheter
gamur.  If so, he doesn't deserve a kenas, so his chametz remains permitted
even to you.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week