[Avodah] kitniyot

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun May 1 21:28:49 PDT 2016

On 05/01/2016 02:13 PM, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:

> 1) Pots: Yes there are various opinions and customs on whether or
> not one needs separate pots. One guide said that while it is true
> that kitniyot are batel b'rov, still one shouldn't batel an issur
> litchatchila. Therefore, he recommended that if one wants to cook rice
> for Shabbat, don't cook anything else after using that pot.

I don't understand how bitul lechatchila applies here.  When you're
cooking the kitniyos you are not deliberately being mevatel its taste
in the walls of the pot -- that happens automatically.   And after the
kitniyos were cooked in it the issur is automatically batel; the taam
of kitniyos in the walls is surely less than 50%!

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week