[Avodah] kitniyot

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun May 1 11:13:24 PDT 2016

On 4/27/2016 7:09 PM, Zev Sero via Areivim wrote:
> I don't know on what basis the digests say that you need separate kelim
> for kitniyos.   The taam of kitniyos that is absorbed into the pot in
> which it was cooked is automatically batel.  I think it's just recommended
> for a heker, so you'll remember not to eat kitniyos yourself, and not
> really necessary at all.

> And if you know before Pesach that you're going to cook kitniyos for
> next Shabbos, you'll leave it out of the chometz cupboard.

I read various guides about this Shabbat. To sum up the issues involved:

1) Pots: Yes there are various opinions and customs on whether or
not one needs separate pots. One guide said that while it is true
that kitniyot are batel b'rov, still one shouldn't batel an issur
litchatchila. Therefore, he recommended that if one wants to cook rice
for Shabbat, don't cook anything else after using that pot.

2) Does the eiruv tavshilin cover cooking kitniyot? Since you would be
cooking the rice/beans when they are assur to you, maybe teh ET doesn't
cover it. However according to Rav Shlomo Zalman, if one lives in a
place in which there are Sefardim, the theoretical possibility that a
Sefardi person would stop over is enough.

3) Checking the kitniyot: One has to check the kitniyot for chameitz. I
personally bought Kitov rice that had been checked twice and only a third
check was required. Why they didn't check it a third time, I don't know.

4) Anything cold (eg chummus) isn't a problem at all.

5) Addendum: This morning the local rosh yeshiva (Rav Tawil) also
discussed eating chameitz. If a non-Jew were to offer you some chameitz,
it is fine. If you sold bread/chameitz before chag, RT basically said
that one can rely on Rav Ovadia's opinion that the bread would not be
muqtza on Shabbat and therefore it would be permitted to eat, if you
can deal with the Pesach keilim issues.