[Avodah] cooking kitniyot in a peasdik pot

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 27 18:35:47 PDT 2016

I had asked:

> Are there actual seforim that discuss this question? I have seen many
> publications - usually issued by the hechsherim - which tell us that
> kitnios baby food (for example) must be prepared in separate keilim.
> But they give no sources. I'd like to see a posek who tackles this
> question in writing, and gives his reasoning.

Yes! "Medical Halachah for Everyone" [1980, Feldheim] by Abraham S. Abraham
MD, page 82, gives a specific procedure for an Ashkenazi who is suffering
from diarrhea and needs to eat rice on Pesach, and then writes:

> Separate utensils must be used for cooking and eating such foods on
Pesach.

His only source for this is Kaf Hachayim 453:27, which opens with:

> Regarding keilim which were used for cooking kitniyot, for those who
> follow the issur of kitniyot -- after 24 hours they are allowed.

He cites *five* sources on this, but unfortunately, I cannot decipher any
of the rashei teivos (which is par for the course, with me and the Kaf
Hachayim). Then, he discusses at length whether or not a (Ashkenazi) guest
needs to worry if his (Sefardi) host used those keilim in the past 24
hours, and several related situations.

HOWEVER --

I am shocked by how different this halacha appears in Dr Abraham's book,
and in the sefer he cites. I concede that the Kaf Hachayim does cite
several problems that the Ashkenazi should be concerned with, and I concede
that Dr Abraham's procedure safeguards against them all. But it also
conjures up additional problems that the Kaf Hachayim was NOT worried about.

Some might say that I am being too hard on a "kitzur sefer" that tries to
service the layman by packing a lot of information into a few pages. I say:
On the contrary! His book could have been two words shorter if he had left
out the words "and eating". If the kli rishon is okay after 24 hours, I
would imagine that the kli sheni is okay even sooner.

Oh - here's another thing: The Kaf Hachayim was talking about a *healthy*
Ashkenazi who eats from Sefardi keilim. I think that if Dr Abraham is going
to apply those halachos to an Ashkenazi *choleh*, maybe he should cite a
posek on it.

Caveat lector! Check the sources whenever you can!

Akiva Miller