[Avodah] minhag avos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 20 08:47:38 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:07:55AM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: The third year RMF already realized that something was fishy and explicitly
: asked my friend why he wouldn't eat by him. When the friend told him the
: real reason RMF said why didn't you tell me right away. He called over 2
: guys in the yeshiva and had my friend "matir neder" on the spot and said
: now you can eat at my seder.

I know also the IM permits Ashkenazim who daven "Sfard" to switch back to
Ashkenaz (even over 150 years after the family first switched to).

But I didn't think he was in general a believer in the idea that Litvisher
minhagim were superior to other East European ones. Just that davening was
differenct because it's a switch back to the earlier nusach.

So what's going on here? Why would he encourage someone to quit the
minhag of gebrochts? (For weaker grounds than usually argued against
qitnios.)

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter